External Site

You are leaving Member One Federal Credit Union's website. The credit union is not responsible for the content of any other website. The privacy and security standards of other sites may differ from those practiced by the credit union. You should review the privacy and security policy of any site before providing any information.

Skip to Content
We are aware of a credit and debit card fraud ring that is currently impacting our members. Be aware of scammers calling, texting, and emailing, asking for your account or card number, pretending to be from Member One. NEVER give out this personal information over the phone or if it's solicited via text or email. Protect yourself and please call us directly at 800.666.8811 if you have any questions.
Virginia Credit Union and Member One Federal Credit Union announce intent to merge. Learn more.

Deceased Member Accounts

Losing a loved one is extremely difficult. All of us at Member One would at least like to help reduce the burden of dealing with the deceased’s finances, and to continue providing you with the highest possible level of service. Below we’ve outlined a few common questions and answers that will help us support you best.

Where Should I Begin?

The first step is to notify us as soon as possible after the death of a loved one. Upon hearing from you, we may request the following information

  • Name of deceased
  • Date of death
  • Certified copy of the death certificate
  • Name(s) of individual(s) who will be settling the account
  • A Court Qualification letter or an Affidavit to Disburse Account of Decedent, if there are no joint owner(s) or payable on death (POD) beneficiaries on the account

Am I Required To Close A Deceased Member's Account?

You are not, as long as the deceased member’s account is not in dormancy status. However, we encourage joint owners, POD payees, and those serving in fiduciary capacities to work toward closing a deceased member account as soon as possible.

  • If the deceased person is the primary account holder, all dividends earned in the amount of $10.00 or more will continue to report in the decedent’s name and social security number for tax purposes.
  • Electing to close the account may limit tax-filing complications.

What Other Services Can You Provide After A Death?

Member One has designated staff devoted to assisting the families of our deceased members.


Call 800-666-8811 to speak with a member of our Products and Services team, or visit a retail center location near where you live or work.

Additional Considerations Include

People and places to contact, if applicable:
  • Financial Institutions
  • File life insurance claims on loans, mortgages, and credit cards
  • Stockbroker (If there are brokerage accounts to be settled)
  • Agencies handling benefits such as: Social Security Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, Veterans Administration, Civil Service, Pension/Retirement plans, etc.
  • Utility companies
  • Insurance companies
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, in the jurisdiction where the decedent last resided and paid their taxes
Steps to take regarding accounts:
  • Cancel direct deposits.
  • Cancel pre-authorized drafts.
  • Re-direct pre-authorized drafts and direct deposits to new accounts.
  • Update beneficiary information, under survivor’s account, if necessary.
  • Review account history for recurring electronic withdrawals, action may need to be taken to stop future drafts. Contact the respective companies, if necessary.
  • Update official documents, as needed.